During the Civil War, there were four camps located along what is now Woodland Avenue between E. 22nd and E. 55th Streets. These camps were called: Camp Taylor, Camp Wood, Camp Brown and Camp Todd. There were two additional camps, Camp Wade and Camp Cleveland, which were located west of the Cuyahoga River in the area known today as Tremont. These were considered camps of rendezvous and training where local regiments organized before being sent into service. Two houses on the corner of Auburn Ave. and W. 11th St. were used as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers (presently the site of the Ukrainian Labor Temple). Recruiting was done in a barn on Auburn Ave.
Camp Cleveland in Tremont was Cleveland’s largest and best-developed Civil War camp. It was organized in July 1862 on a 35-acre site bounded by Herschel (W. 5th) St., University (W. 7th) St., Railway St. (Railway Ave.) and South St. (Marquardt Ave.). Approximately 15,230 officers and men, almost 5% of the troops raised in Ohio during the war, trained there. The camp also housed federal units in transit from one assignment to another, as well as two groups of Confederate prisoners. At the war’s end, over 11,000 troops were paid off and discharged at Camp Cleveland, and it was closed in August, 1865.
Camp Wade, located on land later to be occupied by Camp Cleveland, was used by the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry from August 26 - October 21, 1861. It’s boundaries (what are now W. 5th St., W. 7th St., Literary Rd., and Jefferson Ave.) differed somewhat from those of the later camp.
Information courtesy of: John Whipple, Berea, Ohio and from National Archives and Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
Add comment April 22nd, 2007