Posts filed under 'Churches'

St. Wendelin Church history

church.jpg2281 Columbus Road.  The Early Days:  Reverand Joseph Koudelka, the pastor of St. Michael Church on Scranton Road, first approached Bishop Ignatius Horstmann about the possibiity of establishing a parish to serve the needs of the Slovak community.  Bishop Horstmann recognized the language difficulties this community faced and their need to continue their ethnic traditions.  It was on May 3, 1903 that a group of pioneer parisioners received Bishop Horstman’s approval to build a new church.  This new church was given the name, Saint Wendelin.

The next step was to find a location for the new church.  Word spread that a property along Columbus Road near W. 25th St. had become available.  This property, which was owned by the Meckes family consisted of two lots measuring 120 ft. by 330 ft.  On the property stood a brick buildeing which was purchased for $6,500.  The front part of the building was remodeled into a parish house, and the rear of the building was transformed into a two-room school.  On one side of the property stood the Phoenix Brewery.  On the other side, there was a salooon. Read more …

22 comments May 26th, 2008

Holy Ghost Greek Catholic (Now called Byzantine Catholic) Church

holyghostbyzantine2420w14th.jpgSouthwest corner of Kenilworth and W. 14th Streets. 

At the turn of the 20th century, both before and after 1900, waves of immigrants from the Carpathian Mountains of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (now in east Slovakia, West Ukraine, Southeast Poland and the northern tip of Romania and still with no country of their own), followed Irish and German settlers to the Greater Cleveland area.  These people are not Slovak, Ukrainian, Russian, or other ethnic group.  They are a separate ethnic group and founded a number of churches in the Cleveland area, both Greek Catholic and Orthodox. ***More about Rusyns and Carpatho-Rusyn churches will be written on this website.

Finding work in the steel mills and industries centering around the “Flats”, these Ruthenians (known more correctly as Rusyn - not Russian -) immigrants next turned their thoughts to establishing places where they could worship in accordance with their Byzantine Catholic heritage. Read more …

18 comments April 9th, 2008

Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church

Originally at 2139 W. 14th St.  Construction of the innerbelt caused the move to 4470 Ridge Rd. in 1958.

More to come.

4 comments February 6th, 2008

St. Andrew Kim Korean

2310 West 14th Street.  St. Andrew Kim was previously the home of Sacred heart of Jesus Polish National Church.

More info to come.

3 comments February 6th, 2008

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church

2187 West 14th Street.  The congregation was organized in 1910 as the Pan Hellenic Society with services held downtown in a hall on the corner of Bolivar and Ontario Streets.  In 1918 the Society became known as the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation.  The current church’s construction also began in 1918.  Until 1937 this was Cleveland’s only church for Greeks.

Courtesy of “A Guide to Cleveland’s Sacred Landmarks” by Armstrong, Klein, Armstrong and

“Tremont’s Churches” by Victoria George and Drew Rolik, HABITAT magazine, February 9 / February 13, 1990

3 comments February 6th, 2008

St. George Orthodox-Antiochian

2587 West 14th Street.  St. George is the former Lincoln Park Methodist Church.  This Romanesque church was built in 1892.  St. George added small onion domes to the base of the steeple.

*more info to be added

2 comments February 6th, 2008

St. John Cantius

906 College Ave. This parish was established on April 14, 1898.  They originally met in a converted car barn in Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood.  By 1908, the parish had grown to 400 families.  The current church was constructed in 1925.

5 comments February 6th, 2008

El Calvario Penticostal Church

elcalvariopentecostal2536w143.jpg2536 West 14th St.  This church was built in 1908 and was the former Emmanuel Evangelical United Brethren Church made up of a German congregation.  Because of a declining German population in the area, the church was sold in 1968 to the Cleveland Baptist Temple.  This congregation remained there until 1994 when Calvary Pentecostal Church (known by its members as El Calavario) purchased the property. 

9 comments July 27th, 2007

Zion Evangelical Church

03.jpgLocated at the corner of W. 14th St. and I-490.  In January of 1867, forty German immigrant families living in the section of Cleveland, then known as University Heights (now Tremont), met with Rev. Stemple, pastor of West Side Church.  Many of the families had been attending Rev. stemple’s church, but with the great walking distance and increasing German population in this area, they decided to start a church of their own.  In the spring of the same year, a corner lot on College Avenue and Tremont Street was purchased for $400 so a permanent church building could be constructed.  The cornerstone was laid on May 12, 1867, marking the date we have come to regard as Zion’s birthday. Read more …

8 comments June 25th, 2007

History of Immanuel Lutheran Church

immanuel50thanniversary3.jpg2928 Scranton Rd.  Immanuel Lutheran Church traces its history to Trinity Lutheran Church on West 30th St. in Cleveland.  In 1853, Trinity opened their first school on the West 30th St. property.  Because so many of the members were locating in the “Brooklyn” (of which Tremont was a part) area, a second school was erected facing Seymour Ave., off Scranton Road (in Tremont).  Candidate of Theology, Henry Weseloh, was brought to Cleveland from Germany to assist Pastor Niemann, of Trinity in 1876.  Aside from being assistant pastor at Trinity, it was understood he should devote himself especially to “Brooklyn” with the thought of establishing a new congregation there. Read more …

11 comments June 14th, 2007

Previous Posts