JOHN G. JENNINGS april art walk and month of april

Memories of Maria Cairns-Yuras

August 30th, 2008

“Lincoln Park - Sundays people would gather on the grass and benches to chat with friends or play cards, checkers, dominos and chess on the picnic tables.  Some would bring picnic baskets from home while others stopped after church.  Children played soccer or played at the pond that was in the center of the park, they also had a carousel and swings, too.  Water fountains were at the corners of the park off Kenilworth/W11th and W14th & Starkweather.  There were bushes completely around the whole park and Post Lamps that lit up the park at night.  They had toilets, but Mom remembers them being dirty.  Mom seemed to think there were no sidewalks on the inside of the park in the early days, but brother Mike says there were always there.  I remember goldfish in the pond and Mike says they broke ground in 1957 to put the swimming pool in that still stands today.  Swimming was free from 7 years old and up, but you had to sign in your name and age before getting in.  They would check our toes and make us take a quick outside shower spray before getting through the bar gates.  Wednesday was Family night for swimming where parents could come.  Teenagers would climb the fence and skinny dip late nights, too.  There were Easter egg hunts and Band Concerts in the Park, also……

Our milk was delivered to our doorstep in glass bottles with cardboard caps.  My brother Mike delivered the Cleveland Press Newspaper and then later turned it over to brother Bill who turned it over to Roman and me.  We raised chickens, rabbits and pigeons in our backyard.  We never locked our doors, someone was always home and kids running in and out all the time……

My mom was a cleaning lady and raised 4 children.  She paid off her home and has lived in the same house in Tremont for 55 years so far.  She has seen many changes over the years from good to bad to good again.  There are still a few oldtimers like my parents that have hung on through thick and thin and still reside here in Tremont……”

With Memories and Sincerity, Maria Cairns-Yuras (Dowhaniuk Family)

*Used with permission from Maria Cairns-Yuras.  These are only a few of the memories from Maria and are written as given to us.  We do not guarantee historical accuracy for this or our other oral/written histories/memories.  These are memories from the 1950’s/1960’s timeframe.

Entry Filed under: Oral/written Histories

27 Comments Add your own

• 1. Anabel Lee  |  December 10th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

HA HA HA!!! You wish!

• 2. Anabel Lee  |  December 10th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

HA HA HA!!! You wish!

• 3. Judy Feddy Boysko  |  July 27th, 2013 at 10:47 am

I lived across the street from Lincoln Park at 2459 W. 11th St. from birth 1941 until we left in 1955.
    My recollections of Lincoln Park where that, yes, there were tall shrubs surrounding the park until the early 50’s when there were many gang fights in the park. Then the shrubs were taken down.
    I don’t think there were ever goldfish in the pond because as a little girl we went in it often. There was a spray in the center to fill the pool.
    The large swimming pool went in around 1953 not 1957.
    Many men would sit on the benches/tables playing cards. As a kid, it was a great way to make money selling kool aid or lemon aid.

• 4. Jim  |  June 18th, 2014 at 12:46 pm

When I was younger we used to ride our bikes around Tremont, there was a place they called the whitewash it was a big hole in the ground and we would ride our bikes down into it and up the other side, I think it had limestone in it, has anyone ever heard of this place? Was it part of republic steel?

• 5. Maria yuras  |  January 10th, 2015 at 9:02 am

Judy you are right. I stand to be corrected, the swimming pool was built in 1953 and opened in 1954. In the late 50’s on Sunday’s when we were coming home from church, I do remember sticking my hand In the pond and trying to catch goldfish. I was around 5-6 years old then. @Jim the only whitewash I heard of was off Brevier Ave and Wiley Ave off Scranton. Seemed it was at the very end of the streets. You may find more info on a Facebook Page called Memories of Tremont-Cleveland’s Southside. You need to join, there are so many pictures and stories there. Wonderful memory site.

• 6. Nancy Kearsey-Ward  |  April 28th, 2015 at 7:54 pm

I found this article because of a booklet I found at my home. It was called “A brief history of Tremont. I was born in 1940 and lived in Valley View projects until I was 18 years old. I have so many memories of my childhood there, and of Tremont Elementary, St. John Cantius and Lincoln High School where I graduated from. Thank you for posting these stories.

Soncerely

Nancy Kearsey-Ward

• 7. Karen Grobelny Mekesa  |  September 19th, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I remember many of Maria’s memories as well….the toe check at the pool, goldfish in center pond, as well as canteen dances at the bath house (now condos) & going to the park to collect leaves in the Fall for school art projects at St. Augustine’s. My favorite leaf was from the ginkgo tree in the park. Elementary school years were on Starkweather until highway came thru & then we moved to West 14th & Castle area & I went to Lincoln HS & now celebrating my 50year reunion.

I now have a ginkgo tree planted in my own yard now because of that art project.
    Thank you for sharing.

• 8. Jerry  |  October 6th, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more posts by you! Those are ADORABLE! I love how they light up, such a great idea!

• 9. BestAssignment Service  |  December 2nd, 2016 at 2:51 am

The Cleveland neighborhood call Tremont sits west of the Cuyahoga and South of Ohio City. It is a appalling, shaky, bracing and at era perilous downtown mechanical/confidential neighborhood,

• 10. Alison Daewon  |  December 7th, 2016 at 12:20 am

This article looks at two arrangements of private family files and the journals they contain. The creators included things from their own documents all through their writings. ordercollegepapers.com my far off relatives, give the subject of this article.

• 11. Help with assignment  |  December 9th, 2016 at 12:35 am

Much appreciated such a great amount for sharing this wonderful information! I am anticipating see more posts by you! Those are ADORABLE! I cherish how they illuminate, such an awesome thought!

• 12. Myassignmentservice.com  |  December 15th, 2016 at 4:03 am

Our drain was convey to our entrance in glass bottles with cardboard tops. My sibling Mike convey the Cleveland Press Newspaper and afterward later turned it over.

• 13. showbox app  |  December 20th, 2016 at 12:26 am

Free movies in high definition format is now available at one click with one of the most popular app showbox.

• 14. showbox  |  December 20th, 2016 at 12:27 am

Get all Game of Thrones series via showbox you need to just install showbox app file and you will get all series best app for all game of thrones lover.

• 15. au vogueplay.com  |  December 26th, 2016 at 8:11 am

This is an example of a WordPress page, you could edit this to put information about yourself or your site so readers know where you are coming from. You can create as many pages like this one or sub-pages as you like and manage all of your content inside of WordPress.This article looks at two arrangements of private family files and the journals they contain. The creators included things from their own documents all through their writings.The best casino online is often favoured by the experienced players due to the mix of features and bonuses that they provide. Searching for a place where to play with your fortune online? Get acquainted with our au vogueplay.com.

• 16. Seekclip.com  |  December 27th, 2016 at 1:08 am

Your web journals moreover more each in like way volume is so attractive by the same token more helpful it selects me come upon get reprise. I will direly get your experience to stop educated of complete overhauls.

• 17. Accounting Thesis Writing Service  |  December 28th, 2016 at 3:20 am

I appreciate this work amazing post for us I like it.

• 18. Affordable Websites Pakistan  |  December 28th, 2016 at 4:56 am

only professional writers can make this kind of material, cheers

• 19. BBA Assignment Help  |  December 28th, 2016 at 5:05 am

by visiting this site I found cool stuff here keep it up.

• 20. Session Layer Assignment Help  |  December 28th, 2016 at 5:41 am

I’m really impressed with your article, such great & usefull knowledge you mentioned here

• 21. Solidworks Project Help  |  December 28th, 2016 at 5:51 am

Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial.

• 22. obat penyakit paru-paru  |  February 9th, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Several times I visit this blog, and indeed much of the content to educate. maybe this blog could be our reference, thanks.

• 23. obat penghilang cacar air  |  February 10th, 2017 at 12:05 am

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

• 24. pengobatan rematik  |  February 12th, 2017 at 6:37 pm

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share… … There are certainly a lot of details

• 25. cool mathematics games  |  February 12th, 2017 at 8:59 pm

As this is the homepage to do the way of creating the free homepage like this to play the game of free COOL GAME

• 26. cara mengobati ginjal bengkak  |  February 13th, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up.

• 27. obat anyang-anyangan  |  February 19th, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks! The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one.