July 15th, 2008
John G. Jennings was born in 1825 and died on December 16, 1896 at his residence at 194 Jennings Avenue. He was buried at Riverside Cemetery. He created the University Heights allotment in 1851. Mr. Jennings taught Sunday school in 1859-1860. The people of the area wanted their own church rather than traveling east of downtown and meetings were held at the home of John Jennings on Scranton Avenue. On November 13, 1859, University Heights Congregational Church was founded. When a new church building was added in 1869, this church was named Jennings Avenue Congregational Church after the street which was named after Mr. Jennings. Mr. and Mrs. Jennings were generous to the church and he was a deacon of the church for more than 25 years.
Entry Filed under: People