Archive for February 7th, 2008

Cleveland University

In 1850 a group of prominent Clevelanders, including Mrs. Thyrza Pelton and John Giles Jennings, began plans for the founding of Cleveland University.  They purchased 275 acres of land from the Kellogg, Barber and Branch farms, on the bluff overlooking the flats.  One of the founders was Governor William Slade, Jr. who platted the surrounding area into a subdivision with streets bearing such intellectual-sounding names as Literary St., University St., College St., and one that would become Professor St.  Next to Slade’s allotment, the university was incorporated on March 5, 1851 and one building was constructed near the corner of College and University Ave.  The plan included a female seminary, an orphan asylum, and a retreat for aged persons.  The residence for the president, Rev. Asa Mahan of Oberlin Institute, was also constructed on the corner of W. 14th and Fairfield.  Pelton Park (now known as Lincoln Park) was established as part of the campus.  The trustees included Ahaz Merchant, Samuel Starkweather and Richard Hilliard. Read more …

Add comment February 7th, 2008

Lincoln Park Baths

lincolnparkbaths1201starkweather.jpg1201 Starkweather Ave.  Currently condominiums, the Lincoln Park Baths opened in 1921.  The baths were built to serve a community whose housing lacked modern plumbing.  There were separate entrances for men and women and the patrons paid between a penny and a nickel for the use of the facilities.

Info and picture courtesy of Tremont West Dev. Corp.

Add comment February 7th, 2008