Archive for February 6th, 2008

Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church

Originally at 2139 W. 14th St.  Construction of the innerbelt caused the move to 4470 Ridge Rd. in 1958.

More to come.

Add comment February 6th, 2008

St. Andrew Kim Korean

2310 West 14th Street.  St. Andrew Kim was previously the home of Sacred heart of Jesus Polish National Church.

More info to come.

Add comment February 6th, 2008

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church

2187 West 14th Street.  The congregation was organized in 1910 as the Pan Hellenic Society with services held downtown in a hall on the corner of Bolivar and Ontario Streets.  In 1918 the Society became known as the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation.  The current church’s construction also began in 1918.  Until 1937 this was Cleveland’s only church for Greeks.

Courtesy of “A Guide to Cleveland’s Sacred Landmarks” by Armstrong, Klein, Armstrong and

“Tremont’s Churches” by Victoria George and Drew Rolik, HABITAT magazine, February 9 / February 13, 1990

Add comment February 6th, 2008

St. George Orthodox-Antiochian

2587 West 14th Street.  St. George is the former Lincoln Park Methodist Church.  This Romanesque church was built in 1892.  St. George added small onion domes to the base of the steeple.

*more info to be added

Add comment February 6th, 2008

St. John Cantius

906 College Ave. This parish was established on April 14, 1898.  They originally met in a converted car barn in Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood.  By 1908, the parish had grown to 400 families.  The current church was constructed in 1925.

Add comment February 6th, 2008