Archive for February, 2008

Cleveland University

In 1850 a group of prominent Clevelanders, including Mrs. Thyrza Pelton and John Giles Jennings, began plans for the founding of Cleveland University.  They purchased 275 acres of land from the Kellogg, Barber and Branch farms, on the bluff overlooking the flats.  One of the founders was Governor William Slade, Jr. who platted the surrounding area into a subdivision with streets bearing such intellectual-sounding names as Literary St., University St., College St., and one that would become Professor St.  Next to Slade’s allotment, the university was incorporated on March 5, 1851 and one building was constructed near the corner of College and University Ave.  The plan included a female seminary, an orphan asylum, and a retreat for aged persons.  The residence for the president, Rev. Asa Mahan of Oberlin Institute, was also constructed on the corner of W. 14th and Fairfield.  Pelton Park (now known as Lincoln Park) was established as part of the campus.  The trustees included Ahaz Merchant, Samuel Starkweather and Richard Hilliard. Read more …

8 comments February 7th, 2008

Lincoln Park Baths

lincolnparkbaths1201starkweather.jpg1201 Starkweather Ave.  Currently condominiums, the Lincoln Park Baths opened in 1921.  The baths were built to serve a community whose housing lacked modern plumbing.  There were separate entrances for men and women and the patrons paid between a penny and a nickel for the use of the facilities.

Info and picture courtesy of Tremont West Dev. Corp.

3 comments February 7th, 2008

Dr. Martin Luther Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church

Originally at 2139 W. 14th St.  Construction of the innerbelt caused the move to 4470 Ridge Rd. in 1958.

More to come.

4 comments February 6th, 2008

St. Andrew Kim Korean

2310 West 14th Street.  St. Andrew Kim was previously the home of Sacred heart of Jesus Polish National Church.

More info to come.

1 comment February 6th, 2008

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church

2187 West 14th Street.  The congregation was organized in 1910 as the Pan Hellenic Society with services held downtown in a hall on the corner of Bolivar and Ontario Streets.  In 1918 the Society became known as the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation.  The current church’s construction also began in 1918.  Until 1937 this was Cleveland’s only church for Greeks.

Courtesy of “A Guide to Cleveland’s Sacred Landmarks” by Armstrong, Klein, Armstrong and

“Tremont’s Churches” by Victoria George and Drew Rolik, HABITAT magazine, February 9 / February 13, 1990

2 comments February 6th, 2008

St. George Orthodox-Antiochian

2587 West 14th Street.  St. George is the former Lincoln Park Methodist Church.  This Romanesque church was built in 1892.  St. George added small onion domes to the base of the steeple.

*more info to be added

2 comments February 6th, 2008

St. John Cantius

906 College Ave. This parish was established on April 14, 1898.  They originally met in a converted car barn in Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood.  By 1908, the parish had grown to 400 families.  The current church was constructed in 1925.

5 comments February 6th, 2008