April 22nd, 2007
1048 Literary St. Lemko Hall was built in 1911 by Andrew Koreny and was originally a social hall with a saloon, gambling rooms and a spacious ballroom. It remained the home of Andrew Koreny until purchased by the Lemko Association Branch No. 6. The local branch was formed in 1929, and the larger group was organized in Cleveland in 1931 to serve the Rusyns from the “Lemko” region of the Carpathian Mountains. The first Lemko Social & Civic Club in Cleveland was located at 1037 Starkweather Ave. in the mid-1930’s. By 1937 the hall moved to 1205 Starkweather, until 1946 when it moved to W. 11th St. In 1977 the hall gained fame when it was used to film the wedding feast in the film The Deer Hunter. In 1988, Lemko Hall was declared a landmark.
Entry Filed under: Buildings