Archive for April 22nd, 2007

Camp Cleveland

campcleveland4natarchives15.jpgDuring the Civil War, there were four camps located along what is now Woodland Avenue between E. 22nd and E. 55th Streets.  These camps were called:  Camp Taylor, Camp Wood, Camp Brown and Camp Todd.  There were two additional camps, Camp Wade and Camp Cleveland, which were located west of the Cuyahoga River in the area known today as Tremont.  These were considered camps of rendezvous and training where local regiments organized before being sent into service.  Two houses on the corner of Auburn Ave. and W. 11th St. were used as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers (presently the site of the Ukrainian Labor Temple).  Recruiting was done in a barn on Auburn Ave.

Camp Cleveland in Tremont was Cleveland’s largest and best-developed Civil War camp.  It was organized in July 1862 on a 35-acre site bounded by Herschel (W. 5th) St., University (W. 7th) St., Railway St. (Railway Ave.) and South St. (Marquardt Ave.).  Approximately 15,230 officers and men, almost 5% of the troops raised in Ohio during the war, trained there.  The camp also housed federal units in transit from one assignment to another, as well as two groups of Confederate prisoners.  At the war’s end, over 11,000 troops were paid off and discharged at Camp Cleveland, and it was closed in August, 1865.

Camp Wade, located on land later to be occupied by Camp Cleveland, was used by the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry from August 26 – October 21, 1861.  It’s boundaries (what are now W. 5th St., W. 7th St., Literary Rd., and Jefferson Ave.) differed somewhat from those of the later camp.

 Information courtesy of:  John Whipple, Berea, Ohio and from National Archives and Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

Add comment April 22nd, 2007

Lemko Hall

lemkohall.jpg1048 Literary St.  Lemko Hall was built in 1911 by Andrew Koreny and was originally a social hall with a saloon, gambling rooms and a spacious ballroom.  It remained the home of Andrew Koreny until purchased by the Lemko Association Branch No. 6.  The local branch was formed in 1929, and the larger group was organized in Cleveland in 1931 to serve the Rusyns from the “Lemko” region of the Carpathian Mountains.  The first Lemko Social & Civic Club in Cleveland was located at 1037 Starkweather Ave. in the mid-1930’s.  By 1937 the hall moved to 1205 Starkweather, until 1946 when it moved to W. 11th St.   In 1977 the hall gained fame when it was used to film the wedding feast in the film The Deer Hunter.  In 1988, Lemko Hall was declared a landmark.

Add comment April 22nd, 2007