Archive for April, 2007

Camp Cleveland

campcleveland4natarchives15.jpgDuring the Civil War, there were four camps located along what is now Woodland Avenue between E. 22nd and E. 55th Streets.  These camps were called:  Camp Taylor, Camp Wood, Camp Brown and Camp Todd.  There were two additional camps, Camp Wade and Camp Cleveland, which were located west of the Cuyahoga River in the area known today as Tremont.  These were considered camps of rendezvous and training where local regiments organized before being sent into service.  Two houses on the corner of Auburn Ave. and W. 11th St. were used as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers (presently the site of the Ukrainian Labor Temple).  Recruiting was done in a barn on Auburn Ave.

Camp Cleveland in Tremont was Cleveland’s largest and best-developed Civil War camp.  It was organized in July 1862 on a 35-acre site bounded by Herschel (W. 5th) St., University (W. 7th) St., Railway St. (Railway Ave.) and South St. (Marquardt Ave.).  Approximately 15,230 officers and men, almost 5% of the troops raised in Ohio during the war, trained there.  The camp also housed federal units in transit from one assignment to another, as well as two groups of Confederate prisoners.  At the war’s end, over 11,000 troops were paid off and discharged at Camp Cleveland, and it was closed in August, 1865.

Camp Wade, located on land later to be occupied by Camp Cleveland, was used by the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry from August 26 - October 21, 1861.  It’s boundaries (what are now W. 5th St., W. 7th St., Literary Rd., and Jefferson Ave.) differed somewhat from those of the later camp.

 Information courtesy of:  John Whipple, Berea, Ohio and from National Archives and Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

7 comments April 22nd, 2007

Lemko Hall

lemkohall.jpg1048 Literary St.  Lemko Hall was built in 1911 by Andrew Koreny and was originally a social hall with a saloon, gambling rooms and a spacious ballroom.  It remained the home of Andrew Koreny until purchased by the Lemko Association Branch No. 6.  The local branch was formed in 1929, and the larger group was organized in Cleveland in 1931 to serve the Rusyns from the “Lemko” region of the Carpathian Mountains.  The first Lemko Social & Civic Club in Cleveland was located at 1037 Starkweather Ave. in the mid-1930’s.  By 1937 the hall moved to 1205 Starkweather, until 1946 when it moved to W. 11th St.   In 1977 the hall gained fame when it was used to film the wedding feast in the film The Deer Hunter.  In 1988, Lemko Hall was declared a landmark.

8 comments April 22nd, 2007

Pilgrim Congregational Church, its founding and early years

Pilgrim church exterior2592 W. 14th St.  In 1850 there were just five families in University Heights (as Tremont was known at the time). These five families were Branch, Kellogg, two Aiken families, and the Hadlow family. These original families are of interest because they have been connected with Pilgrim Church. In 1854 a Sunday school was started.  In 1857 Mr. Hadlow brought his pastor, Rev. William H. Brewster, home with him. At that time Mr. Hadlow was connected with a Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church on Euclid Ave.  Rev. Brewster would preach in the little school house on the site of the present Tremont School. He and Mr. J. G. , Jennings, Cleveland Heights Sunday School Superintendent, conducted a Sunday school in the same place. People felt the need of a church of their own, and gatherings were held at the Jennings’ home located on Scranton Avenue. Congregationalism was settled upon. On November 13, 1859, the “University Heights Congregational Church” was declared organized. Mr. Hadlow, known as”Father Hadlow”, was the very founder of the church. Brewster Pelton and Jennette, his wife, were most loyal helpers and supporters.  Mr. and Mrs. Jennings  gave liberally as well.

In 1858, Professor Humiston, already well known in the city of Cleveland as a teacher of exceptional ability, was induced to open a school in the former “University” building.   The school was known as “Humiston’s Cleveland Institute.”  In approximately 1860, he offered the use of Humiston Institute for church services.  Sunday school and prayer meetings were held in the school house.  After five years the church numbered only forty-eight, and was still holding preaching services in the Institute, but planning for a new building.  Mr. Pelton gave two valuable lots on the corner of Jennings Ave. and Howard Street, and in the spring of 1865 the building was begun. In the fall of 1869 the “Connecticut Colony” arrived, including three new families who brought greatly needed elements of strength, both personal and financial. In previous years, Thomas H. Lamson was most generous to the church as was his brother Isaac P. Lamson and his partner, Samuel W. Sessions.  In 1883 the name of the church was changed to Jennings Avenue Congregational Church, which name it bore until June 17th, 1892 when the present and final name of Pilgrim Congregational Church was chosen.

In November, 1891 a movement began for a new building. On April 5, 1893 a crowd gathered to take part in the breaking of the ground. Present were Deacon J. G. Jennings, Mother Hadlow, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Olney, to whose generosity the Church owed so much. In November, 1894, the structure was completed.  The original church was sold to the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland and became St. Augustine Catholic Church.

Sources:  Seventieth Anniversary, History and Year Book, Pilgrim Congregational Church and Tremont West Development Corporation

7 comments April 4th, 2007